A Meditation on Christ


Descending from heaven, the God-man came,
Knowing his light the world would disclaim.
Yet Jesus remained, by the Spirit anointed
To suffer and die as the Father’s appointed.

He delighted not in the glories of men,
Yielded to loss again and again.
Foreseeing the prize which he would obtain,
He endured the cross, meeting joy in the pain.

Submitting to the Father’s will,
My lustful heart he has emptied to fill
With himself: he who fills all things,
Compels renouncing of me and true life brings.

The humble cross on which Jesus died
Must be the end of all my pride—
Not only this, but all earth’s comforts too
Must fail to show God’s rest is true.  

One day we will stand before his seat,
Our longings fulfilled and our joy complete.
The meek will be blessed to inherit the earth;
The mourning rejoice at the sight of his worth.

So all rights to give up, I shall not refuse;
No clinging to earth can I excuse.
For Jesus is my eternal reward;
My sole ambition, that his name be adored.

Comments

Popular Posts